Prior to the California Highway Patrol each county was responsible for traffic enforcement with funds provided by the State Division of Motor Vehicles, Department of Finance from 1923 to 1929 and were known as the dual control officers because the counties submitted candidates to the state who appointed the officers. Only about 36 of the 58 counties participated in the program from 1923 to 1929. In 1929 the remaining counties, except Los Angeles became part of the C.H.P.
This example has the Market St. address.
Diminutive but rare, this Traffic Clerk badge is Gold Front with a riveted rank panel, made by Ed Jones Co. Oakland, CAL.
Captain of Traffic badge for the Redding Police dept. Badge is Gold Front.
On May 28, 1923, the incorporaton of the American Toll Bridge Company of California was granted. The company was formed to build a bridge spanning the Carquinez Straight, with anchorage on the west bank in Rodeo, CA Contra Costa County and anchorage on the east bank in Vallejo, CA Solano County. On May 21, 1927 the bridge opened. The American Toll Bridge Co. operated the bridge until 1940. On September 16th the State of California took over the operation.
In early 1928 construction was begun on what was commonly referred to as the San Mateo bridge, officially called the San Francisco Bay toll bridge. The bridge opened on March 2, 1929. Up until the time the CHP was able to begin traffic enforcement later that same year the county of San Mateo was responsible for traffic enforcement. The legislature created the CHP as part of the Department of Motor Vehicles on August 14, 1929.
Sterling silver and hand engraved this badge is made by the Ed Jones Co. and is featured in the book “Badges of America’s Finest” on page 60.